Monday, February 14, 2011

My Thoughts On Strikeforce: Fedor vs Silva

This past weekend gave us another impressive, action-packed Strikeforce card. We saw a legend, a god amongst mere mortals, beaten to a pulp. We saw a former champion fall to defeat via KO for the 7th time in his career. We saw exciting action but, to me at least,the sadness of those events completely overshadowed the exciting night of fights. Fedor Emelianenko, a man widely regarded as the greatest Heavyweight of all time or fighter for that matter, was barraged with punches from Antonio Silva, a man who practically just made a serious name and contendership for himself. A hotly contested first round, which I gave to The Last Emperor, gave way to a one sided beatdown of a round with Silva swinging the hammer. After taking an immense amount of punishment and pressure, Fedor survived, and almost pulled off another stunning come from behind win. Sadly, it was not to be and Fedor was stopped because of a severely swollen eye. Afterwards, we lamented and said that it might be time for him to hang up the gloves. If that was the last time I had the privilege of seeing The Last Emperor fight, I must say I will miss the aura he carried every time he fought. It has been a great ride, Fedor, and if this is the end, thanks for all the memories.

The Co-Main Event also presented a possible last fight for another great fighter. Andrei Arlovski, a former UFC Heavyweight Champion, was stopped for the 7th time in his career by KO. After starting out very well by sticking and moving, Arlovski got in a close quarters battle and ended up unconscious. I honestly think it is time for Andrei to hang them up, not because I do not think he is a great fighter or I do not like watching him fight, it is because I want the best for the rest of his life post-mma, but that is up to him. Once again, if it is the end of the Pitbull's mma career, thanks for the memories.

The rest of the card was quite enjoyable, the Griggs/Villante fight was an absolute war. I just don't understand why Yves Lavigne decided to stop the action to rinse out Villante's mouthpiece after he just landed a headkick on Griggs... somethings I cannot understand.

These are my highlights and my thoughts. They are completely opinion based.

~Stay Thirsty My Friends~,

Zack

No comments:

Post a Comment