Wednesday, September 29, 2010

WEC 51 Picks: Someone Is Drinking A Gallon Of Milk

Before we get into our picks, we decided that for every event there will be a little wager. The low man with the worst picks will need to pay up on a certain bet decided by the rest of us. For our first time around, we decided on a classic, the "Gallon of Milk Challenge". The loser will video tape it, post it to youtube, and it will be posted all over the internet for everyone to see.

Jose Aldo vs. Manny Gamburyan

Deowade: Aldo - He's too fast and too smart to jump in unprotected like Mike Brown did. I expect this to look alot like Aldo/Brown, except with a short annoying Armenian guy getting his ass whipped. Aldo via TKO in the 2nd.

MostDiabolicalHater: Manny has nothing for Jose here.....NOTHING!!! - Aldo by whatever the hell he god damn pleases KO Rd. 2

BarackLesnar: Manny looks like he would be difficult to finish but Rob Emerwho did it with little effort. Jose Aldo will probably play it smart and keep Manny working and finish the gassed Armenian in the third. Looking forward to the arguments of who Jose should fight at LW and if it should be in the UFC.

ThisRedEngine: This is one of those fights where before hand everyone is saying how Aldo has cleaned out the division. It’s an interesting matchup due to Manny’s judo background but Aldo is a killer with a Chelsea smile, no way he loses this fight.

Donald Cerrone vs. Jamie Varner

Deowade: Cerrone - After losing to Benderson so quickly, Donald has to have some serious motivation to come back and break someone. Varner is going to want to stand and bang, but he'll quickly try and take it to the round once Cerrone starts beating that ass. Cerrone via Submission in the 3rd.

MostDiabolicalHater: After all the talk ( and there has been an avalanche of it) these two finally meet again in the blue cage. This one will be intense but I have to go with Varner because like Kurt Angle said at WrestleMania 18, "Enough with the freakin cowboy hats. You're not 8 years old anymore, please!" - Varner, Decision

BarackLesnar: If there was a list of things that get you into Dbag heaven having two nautical star tattoos in the same location as the girl at my local head shop would be at the top of the list. With that being said please don't let me down Cowboy finish him in the second.

ThisRedEngine: I’m not sure which Cerrone will show up. As much as I hate to say this, Varner is consistent and will end up beating the hell out of a mentally broken Cerrone.

Miguel Torres vs. Charlie Valencia

Deowade: Torres - This a gimme fight for Torres. Valencia has been around for a minute, but he's not a world beater by any means. If Torres can go back to being the aggressive Zorak look-a-like that he was before Brian Bowles sent him to the Land of Wind and Ghosts, then he's got this in the bag. Torres via Una. Decision

MostDiabolicalHater: As much as I despise Miguel Torres annoying twitter persona, he gets back on track here. - Torres, Sub, Rd. 1

BarackLesnar: Torres should probably outclass Valencia in every area. Miguel might play it safe to make sure he wins so UD is what my gut says.

ThisRedEngine: Miguel’s fight to lose and my guess is that he does, I think his confidence is shook and I have questions about his chin after Brian Bowles sent him on a trip to visit invisible Jesus. Charlie Valencia is my dog pick via TKO.

Chan Sung Jung vs. George Roop

Deowade: Korean Zombie all day - Roop is going to get his ass handed to him on Thursday night. Jung can take insane amounts of punishment, and then throw it right back at his opponent. Jung TKO in the 2nd.

MostDiabolicalHater: The Korean Zombie and his amazing t-shirt return and get their first WEC victory here. - Chan Sung Jung - Decision

BarackLesnar: KOREAN ZOMBIE

ThisRedEngine: A highlight fight for Jung. Roop tried to mean mug him during the weigh ins and since he isn’t from 209, looked ri-goddamn-diculous. Jung TKO in the 3rd.

Leonard Garcia vs. Mark Hominick

Deowade: Garcia - He's always entertaining, has heavy hands, and (as we saw in his last match) can take a beating. Sorry Hominick, Garcia via TKO in the 3rd.

MostDiabolicalHater: The other half of the standandbang war to end all standandbang wars is fighting on this card too....Shit. Let's say Garcia TKO rd 3.

BarackLesnar: Love me some Leonard "Cheech's Cousin Red" Garcia I see him overwhelming Hominick and stopping him in the second. Garcia TKO rd 2.

ThisRedEngine: The other zombie is fighting a very technical fighter in Hominick. If it turns into a dick measuring contest to test each other’s power, it’s Garcia all day. Garcia via TKO in the 3rd.

Mike Brown vs. Cole Province

Deowade: Brown - They brought Province in to lose. Nothing more needs to be said. Brown via MANSTRENGTH Submission.

MostDiabolicalHater: Mike Brown on the undercard??? Oof. Brown takes this one and gets his ass back on the main card. Brown. TKO rd 2.

BarackLesnar: Can't pick a guy that got knocked out by girl problems. Cole Province via M.O.B.

ThisRedEngine: Glad to see everyone else’s mind is blown about Brown being on the undercard. Provice has everything to gain and hopefully he fights like it. That said, Mike Brown will smash him for however long he wants.

Chris Horodecki vs. Ed Ratcliffe

Deowade: Ratcliff - Horodecki makes childish mistakes (no pun intended) and took 3 rounds to put away some dude that stepped in on a few days notice. And 9 mm has to have some serious pent up rage after Cerrone went Vale Tudo on his nutsack last December. 9mm via KO.

MostDiabolicalHater: Horodecki's experience gives him the edge in this one - Horodecki, Decision

BarackLesnar: Ratcliff should lose this fight. The problem? Reality is perception based, and a fight must be a lot easier if you don't have to visualize a 12yr old opponent he does it for you. I expect Horodecki to lose a UD. Ratcliffe UD.

ThisRedEngine: There was a time when Horodecki was destined for greatness. Then he was beaten up by his big brother, Ryan Shultz, and hasn’t looked the same. Ratcliffe by hilarious KO.

Diego Nunes vs. Tyler Toner

Deowade: Diego Nunes - Don't know much about either of these two, but Nunes last win was over tougher competition. So I'm going with him.

MostDiabolicalHater: Nunes, Decision

BarackLesnar: Tyler Toner via Tanning Bed endorsement

ThisRedEngine: Diego Nunes as he’s faced tougher competition. Good for Toner though I guess for getting a chance to fight a decently named fighter?

Antonio Banuelos vs. Chad George

Deowade: Banuelos - Chuck Liddell's manservant should take this one. He's durable and has heavy hands. Plus I can't stop thinking about Scott Jorgensen strangling Chad George at WEC 47.

MostDiabolicalHater: Banuelos, Sub, rd 2.

BarackLesnar: Antonio should win, him and Hackleman are fucked if Chuck retires. Banuelos by luck round three.

ThisRedEngine: Banuelos is proven, trains with Chuck and is one of the few fighters from that camp that have show any sort of potential. I like him via Submission in Round 3.

Demetrious Johnson vs. Nick Pace

Deowade: Nick Pace - He pulled off the illest flying knee that I've eve seen in MMA. That's the only reason that I'm picking him.

MostDiabolicalHater: Pace, Decision

BarackLesnar: I really do not know much about these two but I'm going with Nick Pace and expecting some damn fine cardio or something like a submission round two.

ThisRedEngine: Nick Pace is a highly touted prospect. I don’t trust peope who say that someone is a highly touted prospect cause I don’t like disappointment. So I’m betting on Demetrious Johnson to win in the first round.

Tie Quan Zhang vs. Pablo Garza

Deowade: Quan - I've only seen a few videos on Quan, but he seems solid. And I know nothing about Pablo Garza, So I'm going with "The Mongolian Wolf" via Submission.

MostDiabolicalHater: Now we will see if Tiequan Zhang has the goods to become a crossover star (how bright exactly that star will be allowed to shine in the WEC who knows) in a battle of unbeatens. I say he makes good on the hype. Tiequan Zhang, TKO rd. 1

BarackLesnar: The Wolf will eat Ichabod alive

ThisRedEngine: Quan is the fighter that Zuffa hopes can deliver the Chinese market. But it also is very telling with how they have booked his first fight. Pablo Garza was featured on TUF 12 where he lost in the elimination to make it to the house. He does have some skills and I don’t like when promotions try to book easy fights for marketable fighters. That said, Quan is very good and shouldn’t have a promblem making his debut. TKO RD 1.

40 comments:

  1. I'm hopin red doesn't lose so we don't have to see his ass anymore than we already have to. Do they make milk with alcohol?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they do. Does bottle of Bailly's count?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha I guess...

    You ever drink baillys from a shoe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gallon of White Russians challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That seems much more appropriate for a place like this

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make that seem like its a bad thing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yo sons,

    I can't really count high enough and/or do the computations necessary to guess who is going to actually lose in this, but I'm relatively certain that it's going to be Rothelstein or Beezy Leezy. It could also be MDH, that wouldn't surprise me much. Basically, I guess I kind of think Deo might be safe. Possibly. We'll see.

    Horodecki is fucked. I'm going to say Jung puts Roop away with a RNC, just to be a little different. Garcia via Greg Jackson. The rest is evident enough I guess.

    I hope none of you assholes are lactose intolerant like your boy. Holla!

    Sincerely,

    Dutchbaby

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yo brother, there's no use in making bets if you aren't betting big. I'm taking two chances which will either pay off or make me vomit. Either way, everyone wins!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're a man of the people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I end up drinking milk I'm dedicating 2 solid hours of working up the worst case of cottonmouth ever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am seriously looking forward to this. Does the loser have to post the vid tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marta, no clue on when the video will go up. If I am the loser I'll have mine up on Saturday since tonight I'm drinking red wine at a rehearsal dinner (missing WEC argh!!!).

    ReplyDelete
  13. And can I suggest the cacao challenge for the next event?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bitches.

    I hope Cerrone feeds you milk from your mother's bosoms, DiabolicalLesnar.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just a quick criticism (constructive of course)it would be much easier to follow if at the end of everyone's pick it said in bold who they are picking. It gets a little cluttered when you have 4 guys picking 12 fights.

    anyway, thisredengine is going to be drinking those white russians.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Subo, you bitch, Varner is gonna do the worm on Cerrone's face.

    KingAtRock, thanks for the suggestion, just edited to highlight everyone's picks. Also, even when I lose I win.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just a note on the feasibility of drinking an entire gallon of milk:

    I've been reading people say its impossible to do it in an hour. I call bullshit. Before, during and after every workout, I drink about half a gallon or more. If I was really thirsty and had an empty stomach, I could easily drink it in 45 minutes. 16 8 oz glasses? No problemo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm looking pretty good by the way. Barack may be drinking a gallon of milk.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just gave it a try..... It might be harder than it seems. I got half down easy, but I'm pretty full. Still got plenty of time left, but I'm calling it quits.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i tried this once in spain, but realized afterwards it was expired goat milk. and i threw up. a lot.

    I think the best outcome is Deo losing, so that he can GIF his own puking that will immediately follow

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just checking this out and seeing what the whole signing up process was about.

    BTW where is your liver so I know when it hurts?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddd, I'm in the clear.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm actually illiterate so I don't really know who is losing. I think it's BL though.

    P.S. Why the fuck is the UFC talking about Cain possibly being the first Mexican heavyweight champion, trying to act like Ricco never existed.

    P.P.S. Why is the sky blue? Why is water wet? Why did Judas rat to Romans while Jesus slept? Stand up, you're out of luck like two dogs stuck. Ironman be sipping rum out of Stanley Cups, unflammable. etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That commercial irritates me too...Cain is as Mexican as Tito is

    ReplyDelete
  25. JOSE ALDO IS THE BEST FIGHTER IN THE WORLD!!!!!!

    That felt good. A little too good.

    Can B.H. Farnsworth become the first half black dude to slap the UFC marketing director?

    Is there nothing else to say about Cain other than he's Mexican(which he's not, he's American)?

    I think its disrespectful to Cain and combat sports in general.

    Excellent observation, Dutchbaby. I guess Ricco, one of the best of his era, didn't exist.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Turns out, Ricco is a filthy Puerto Rican. I should have known. I see his type all over San Juan.

    ReplyDelete
  27. All I'm observing is that BL is gonna be drinking an ungodly amount of milk some time in the near future.

    Obviously it's always ignorant to say this sort of shit, but I believe there is a very real chance that Aldo holds this division for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ricco is both Puerto Rican and Mexican, I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gross. You serious, Dutchy?

    Makes sense. He's from SoCal. Not a lot of Ricans around there.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I agree, it sounds dumb after the (near)upsets this year, but I think Aldo is as good as it gets. He's is uber-destructive on his feet, and even more so on the ground. I'm convinced he let Faber survive just to win his fans over.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ricco's from S.I. or L.I. originally, I believe.

    As for Aldo, you have to feel a little more confident about it when you consider the names left inside the WEC and those absent from the organization's ranks.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Born in San Diego, raised in Satan's Island.

    I honestly believe he is the most complete, most dominant fighter alive. He's fought the best the WEC had to offer. The only real elite guys he hasn't beat is Bibiano, who I think can out grapple him; and Marlon Sandro, who he'll probably never fight. Grispi is the last one left in the WEC.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I didn't think that it was possible for Ricans and Mexicans to mate with other. They've been blood feuding since the Ricans populated The Bronx and Mexico got stuck with all the crappy parts of Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Damn. Thisredengine got smashed in the picks. Tough night.

    ReplyDelete
  35. evan, I took a risk picking Valencia over Torres which was dumb, but seeing as no one else did, it could have been what ended up winning me the competition. I fortunately don't have to drink the gallon of milk and next time I'll pick more conservatively.

    ReplyDelete