Friday, December 17, 2010

Ben Henderson and Anthony Pettis: A Most Proper Swan Song

The WEC is now no more. There will never be another fight inside the blue cage. Ben Henderson and Anthony Pettis ended it not with a whimper or a bang, but an absolute classic 5 round title fight. There really could not have been a more fitting end to the promotion. Only ending world hunger, curing cancer and free puppies for everyone in attendance could have improved the final act of World Extreme Cagefighting.

Anthony Pettis' ridiculous jumping alley-oop off the cage head kick on Smooth was a thing of beauty. Anyone who ever doused their drawers over Alan Belcher's cage assisted Superman Punch on Sexyama @ UFC 100 should bow down to the new cage assisted strike king. Seriously, It's only been a half an hour since the event ended and I am well aware that if this thing doesn't calm down in the next 3.5 hours I am going to the hospital to seek medical attention. I think I might be the first man to suffer Priapism at the hands of a Mixed Martial Arts fight.

I knew it was tied up going into the final frame but I thought Henderson might need a finish after Pettis had his back for the entire 3rd round. I thought that could have very easily been a 10-8 round. The fight was a back and forth battle that had it all: fluid and flashy striking, power punches and kicks, great wrestling and bjj. I really could not have asked for more from the final fight inside the blue cage.

Hats off to both Ben Henderson and Anthony Pettis. You guys put the company out to pasture in style. Thanks for an amazing fight.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with everything here. Even the priapism.

    ReplyDelete