Sunday, November 21, 2010

UFC 123: Kinda Explosive!

So I am no longer drunk and finally coming down from a fantastic night of fights high that only Zuffa can deliver. We saw KOs, Submissions, and Fight of Night type decisions. With this card in the books lets reflect on what we learned from the night.

Rampage made everyone eat crow. He came into that fight one a loss to Rashad Evans and a lot of the focus was on if Rampage even wanted to keep fighting. Well last night that he could not only still compete at the top of the division, but also win against a fighter most thought was unbeatable unless you are named Shogun Rua. Coming out to the Pride theme song was amazing and I'm glad to see that he wants to keep fighting. Last night will be the last time I doubt his heart as a fighter.

Machida isn't who we thought he was. He was supposed to be the next great Light Heavyweight Champion. He lost to Shogun arguably twice and now is 0-2 in his two fights. Where does he go from here? He didn't seem to know what to do against Rampage and wasn't the distance fighter he was during his undefeated streak. Zuffa now has to figure out where to go from here with him. Maybe the winner of Forrest/Rich Franklin? I dunno, but he's in a very weird spot in his career.

Don't call it a comeback, BJ Penn's been here for years. Well I guess I'll have a side of crow with my main course of crow. I doubted BJ's mental toughness and thought that Hughes would beat him. I'm an idiot. He takes on John Fitch next in Australia. I like that the UFC isn't giving him an easy fight and this will definitely be a great test for Fitch. BJ isn't easy to take down or grind out and we'll see what Fitch can do when taking on a fantastic grappler.

Matt Hughes may be done, but I hope not. I wish I knew prior to making my pick that Hughes didn't have the best training camp. But I still think he's having fun fighting. But he's definitely been relegated to the senior circuit. I suspect we'll see him back against Dennis Hallman in a fight that you know Matt wants if only to say he beat Dennis Hallman.

Phil Davis is wonderful. No homo. He and Jon Jones are the UFC's meal ticket for the next decade. He finished the fight with a submission he made up on the spot and it was ridiculous. When Joe Rogan freaks out over BJJ, you know you're doing something right. I would like to see him show more of his stand up, but damn is his grappling the tops in the LHW division.

George Sotiropolous is a beast. I kinda knew this was gonna be the outcome but he's definitely one of the top fighters in the Lightweight Division. Obviously, Joe Lauzon isn't top 10, but George was able to finish the fight against a game opponent. Without his Georgepants. Would like to see him take on Sean Sherk but I'm okay with the fight against Denis Siver too, I guess?

Also, goodbye Karo Parysian. You were just way too crazy man.

8 comments:

  1. HAHAHA explosive get it get it? Because they call black people explosive hahaha so funny and so hardcore. Love for Mr wonderful but no homo at the end, holy shit this guy is funny. Save your G rated jackass challenges for the high school kids nobody fucking cares. Shit is turrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, the article is fine, Anonymous #1. My bit of constructive criticism, Matt, you don't really need the whole "I'm drunk, everyone!" schtick. Your articles are good enough. Not to mention, at your age, being proud of being drunk on the internet is very weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil Davis remains Phil Davis. I still don't know how I feel about the Jackson-Machida bout. First event I watched with my girl in quite some time - which was oddly enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're totally right...these challenges are way too G rated. 124 will be an enema challenge since obviously fun is lost on you.

    To the second anonymous, I'm moving beyond the "I'm drunk, everyone" shtick. But at 25, I think I can still be drunk on the internet. I do appreciate the fact that you have constructive criticism though and glad you do read this site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous #1 you are teh suck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the challenges are too tame as well. We need to have someone cut off a digit if they lose or maybe an entire limb. Perhaps the loser can get hit by a truck or cut out a vital organ without the aid of anesthesia. Good advice Anonymous, I can't believe you didn't want to attach your name to such a genius comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought Phil Davis had a clever little trick there when he abandoned the kamura attempt and pulled a odd variation of what I like to call the Cop Trick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lot of crows in my plate too. I never thought 2010 Rampage could be that focused and fast. Machida was obviously worried about going to sleep again so he cut Rampage some slack until he felt his power and decided he could take it, but still.

    It's crazy how BJ's game depends on speed. If he's quicker than his opponent, the Prodigy shows up. If his opponent is quicker than him, he's lost.

    Hey guys, you have a few haters now it seems. Sure sign of success !

    ReplyDelete