Friday, November 12, 2010

WEC 52 Review: Please Don't Die!

So WEC 52 is in the books and I have to say, it's in contention for the event of the year. From the first bout to the last bout, there wasn't a single second that I wasn't entertained. I will miss this company and every card they put on under the Zuffa banner. But since they aren't dead yet, I won't eugoogolize WEC today. Instead, I'll provide a run down of the fights last night so I'll have this post to look back on when remembering the WEC for what it was, a fantastic organization.

Thoughts from the night

- Damacio Page looked good coming off of an injury. The kick to the groin definitely changed the fight up and I look forward to his next fight when he doesn't get kicked in the groin and ring rust.

- Demetrius Johnson is gonna murder people when Zuffa creates a flyweight division.

- Joseph Benavidez is a beast. Those guillotine attempts were great and he choked out a legitimate BJJ blackbelt in Wagney Fabiano. He too will be a beast in the featherweight division, but in the mean time I want to see him fight Demetrius Johnson.

- I get that Wagnney Fabiano is 4-2 in the WEC but he doesn't show up to fights against the elite and is incredibly boring. That's an understatement, he's fucking boring. I wouldn't be surprised if Zuffa gives him one more shot before severing ties.

- Duke Roufus trains great kickboxers. I mean Koch wasn't fighting a world beater but that fucking kick. Holy shit. Welcome sir.

- Cub Swanson and Mackens Semerzier put on a fantastic fight. I hope both of these guys get a fight in the UFC, they earned it last night. That's what Dana White wants to see, a balls out fight, and these guys delivered.

- Chad Mendes is a great wrestler and has good transitions. I dunno what else to say.

- Holy shit Urijah Faber. That choke.

- Holy shit I thought Takeya Mizugaki was dead. That was awful to watch and I'm glad he's not dead.

Overall, This was a great fucking night. I'll let the rest of the staff edit this and add their thoughts but I will miss the WEC. For 53 I will be pouring out a Mickey's 40oz for my homies the WEC.

No comments:

Post a Comment